In this post about stress relief , we will look at ways to cope with and manage stress so it doesn’t grow into a problem that will end up causing us to spend so much time and funds on.
In previous posts, we considered stress; its onset and types. Stress and its attendant effects build up over time, and it is a wise move to mitigate the effects before they do us in.
Here are practical steps that should be undertaken to nip negative stress in the bud and help with stress relief ;
- Connect with a qualified mental health care provider. If for any reason you feel unable to cope with the pressure that comes with stress, leading you to think suicidal thoughts, believe you cannot cope or are tired of life, and compels to use drugs, alcohol or sex to cope, seek help.
- Get proper treatment for new or recurring health issues
- Connect with a support group and/or people who can provide support in any form. Do not be shy to ask for help from family, friends, your locality or religious organization as taking care of oneself and then family could prove to be a daunting task.
- Understand your body’s response to stress. This information will empower you to know the right action to take when you for example you are; have difficulty sleeping, easily get angry, feel depressed etc.
- Prioritize- Decide on what needs to be done, what can wait and learn to say no to tasks that will require too much from you without giving any quarter. You could use this equation; break down your tasks into these 4 group; Urgent and important, urgent but not important, important but not urgent, and not urgent and not important. Following this rule will help you focus on the needful.
- Celebrate every of your daily achievements.
- Do not dwell on your problems or on the tasks that couldn’t get done. If you have become a worrier, seeking medical advice may help.
- Exercise. This cannot be over-emphasized. Regular exercises like walking or jogging for a few minutes will lighten and lift your mood.
- Set out times to relax and just have fun with yourself and friends.
- Explore options that allow you to relax as much as possible. Meditation, Yoga etc could help here.